- 1 pork loin, centre roast, boneless, about 3 lbs (1.5 kg) courtesy Cantor’s Quality Meats
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH chili powder, ground cumin and ground all spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- 1-19 oz (540 mL) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fresh pineapple
- 1 Peak of the Market red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped Peak of the Market red onion
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Trim roast of any unwanted fat.
- In small bowl, combine oil, brown sugar and seasonings to form a paste. Spread evenly over all sides of the roast.
- To grill, place roast in a disposable foil pan. Preheat barbecue on high, reduce heat to medium. Turn off one side of barbecue. With barbecue lid down, cook roast over indirect heat (“off” heat side) for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer registers 155˚F. Alternatively, preheat oven to 325°F. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until instant-read thermometer registers 155˚F.
- Remove roast fro barbecue or oven. Tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes before carving into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Sever with a scoop of Caribbean Salsa and a side of whole grains like cooked brown rice or barley pilaff.
For the Salsa:
- In large glass bowl, combine oil, lime juice, chick peas, pineapple, bell pepper, cucumber and onion.
- Season with salt & pepper according to taste.
- Refrigerate for one hour or until ready to serve. Salsa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Pairs well with Lagunitas IPA