2 lbs (900 g) Granny’s ground turkey
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
3 cups (750 mL) Peak of the Market onion, finely chopped
2 cups (500 mL) Peak of the Market carrot, finely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) celery, finely chopped
2 tsp (10 mL) garlic, finely chopped
2 (796 ml) cans low sodium whole tomatoes
2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
4 tsp (20 mL) dried basil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 lb (454 g) dried rigatoni pasta
1 cup (250 ml) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet and brown meat, transferring it to slow cooker once browned.
- Add remaining oil, onion, carrot, celery and garlic to skillet and lightly brown.
- Drain tomatoes, puree in a food processor, and then add to the skillet and simmer with vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add herbs and spices and then transfer to slow cooker. Place lid on slow cooker then cook on low setting for 6 hours.
- Boil pasta according to instructions until al dente and then drain.
- Add pasta to meat sauce and stir.
- Pour into an 8” x 10” greased casserole pan.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.
Pairs well with, Cecchi Chianti