- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small Peak of the Market red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup (70 mL) barbecue sauce, plus more for dipping
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) chopped cilantro leaves
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8-10, soft 7-inch flour tortillas (warmed to soften)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-heat. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic; stir-cook until golden and caramelized (about 5-7 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in chicken, cheese, pineapple, BBQ sauce and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay a tortilla on cutting board. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture in a line down the centre of the tortilla. Bring the tortilla edge closest to you up over the filling, tightly rolling it to form a tube. Place the taquito seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. If there is filling left over, tuck it into the ends of the taquitos.
- Bake taquitos until crisp and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce, or hot sauce if preferred.
Variations: try grilled pineapple and a smoky barbecue sauce. Or substitute mango for the pineapple.