- 5 large sweet potato
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- to taste salt & pepper
- 2 lb (910 g) turkey, cooked & diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen peas (if using frozen, do not thaw)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) BBQ sauce or ketchup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) turkey or chicken stock
- to taste salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly oil a 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
- Prick each potato several times with a fork and microwave no more than three at a time until tender (approximately 4 minutes for each potato).
- Remove skins and place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add remaining topping ingredients and mash well. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, on medium-high, heat oil.
- Sauté onions until transparent, add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, peas and turkey. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add tomato paste and BBQ sauce.
- Add flour and blend well.
- Add chicken stock.
- Continue cooking until mixture starts to thicken, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Turn turkey mixture out into baking dish and spread evenly.
- Top with sweet potato topping, spreading evenly to cover the entire dish.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until ingredients start to bubble up the sides, and the top starts to brown.