- 1 Countryside Farms Vita Egg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) diced whole wheat bread, fresh or dried
- 1 lb (0.45 kg) ground beef
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) allspice
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Combine egg and milk and whip with a fork to mix. Add diced bread to milk mixture and allow it to soak, 10 minutes. If bread remains fairly dry, add extra milk to moisten.
- Combine ground beef, garlic, cilantro, red wine vinegar, all remaining seasonings and mix well.
- Using clean hands, fold two mixtures together. Place the mixture on a baking sheet and shape by hand into 4-5 individual loaves, each approximately 6 inches long and 3 inches thick.
- Bake until a thermometer inserted in the centre reads 150°F (66°C), about 30-40 minutes.
- Let rest 5-10 min, allowing temperature to rise to 160°F (71°C).
Recipe created by chef Ben Kramer
Tip: Individual meatloaves can be frozen and thawed and packed for future lunches.
Pairs well with Granville Island English Bay Pale Ale