- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 4 oz (125 g) dried, hot chorizo, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 lbs (1 kg) mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf cilantro
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add canola oil. Bring to temperature.
- Add chorizo sausage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add mussels and wine. Cover and bring to boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes until all the mussels are opened. Discard any that do not open. Shake pot occasionally.
- Remove lid, squeeze fresh lemon juice and sprinkle cilantro on top.
- Pour mussels and sauce into a large serving bowl. Serve warm.