- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) reserved roast beef cooking broth*
- 1 can (284 mL) beef consommé
- 3-4 springs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
*packaged beef broth can be used an alternative
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, create a roux with butter and flour. Mix until the flour and butter are fully incorporated, sire until the mixture darkens to a light brown.
- Add shallots and garlic and allow to soften.
- Slowly whisk in the beef consommé, allowing the roux to become fully incorporated into the liquid. You do not want lumps in the gravy.
- Once both cans of consommé are added, stir in the Worcestershire and thyme.
- Allow gravy to boil and thicken, whisk occasionally to pull gravy together.