- 2 lb (1 kg) sirloin tip roast beef, tied
- 3 tsp (15 mL) EACH salt and black pepper (divided)
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) canola oil (divided)
- 1 cup (250 mL) EACH celery and carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 EACH garlic cloves, minced and bay leafs, dried
- 1 Tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) white button mushrooms and parsnips, coarsely chopped
- parsley (garnish)
- Heat a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil.
- Season roast with 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH salt & pepper, sear to brown all sides; remove from heat.
- Add Remaining oil to dutch oven lower heat to medium.
- Add celery, carrots, onion mix scraping brown bits off the bottom of pot until vegetables are softened.
- Add garlic and tomato paste stir until garlic is fragrant.
- Place roast over top of vegetables.
- Add bay leaves, sprinkle dried thyme overtop of vegetables add wine, water and 2 tsp (10mL) EACH salt and pepper.
- Cover dutch oven with heavy lid and place in a 325 ̊F (170 ̊C) oven for 2 hours.
- Add parsnips and mushrooms; uncover pot for the last 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place roast on cutting board allow meat to rest for 10 minutes, slice thinly add back into pot to soak in sauce and vegetables. Serve.