Chock full of lean chicken and veggies, this chili will be a family favourite.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 clove cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken thigh
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp each hot pepper flakes and black pepper
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 19 oz canned black beans, drained
- 2 cup kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat — cook onion and garlic about 3 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add chicken and stir cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add red pepper, celery and spices and stir cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and black beans — bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add corn and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in parsley or cilantro.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad.
This recipe can be doubled. Leftover chili makes a tasty filling for enchiladas.