- 2 2/3 cup (650 mL) graham cracker crumbs*
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) butter, melted
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk**
- 3-4 firm bananas
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) powdered instant coffee
- 1 tsp (5 mL) icing sugar
- 1 oz (1 square) semi-sweet bakers chocolate
- Remove label from can of sweetened condensed milk. Immerse unopened can in a deep pot or slow cooker filled with boiling water. Cover and simmer (slow cooker setting – high) for 3 hours; be sure to top up with water frequently during cooking, so can is always completely under water. If the pot is allowed to boil dry the can will explode.
- Remove the tin from the water and allow to cool completely before opening. The sweetened condensed milk becomes soft toffee.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl.
- Press firmly onto bottom and up sides of a 9” pie plate or tart pan.
- Bake pie crust for 12 minutes and allow to cool.
- Pour the toffee over the graham cracker crust.
- Peel and halve the bananas lengthwise and lay them on the toffee.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered instant coffee and icing sugar.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream on top of the bananas.
- Grate chocolate over whipped cream topping.
- For best results when serving, freeze overnight and thaw in the fridge 4 hours before serving. The pie should be slightly frozen. Alternately, chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to one day before serving.
*For a gluten-free alternative crust, omit graham crackers and butter and try made in Manitoba Almond Pie Shells, by Piccola Cucina www.piccolacucina.ca
**Multiple unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk can be boiled at one time and saved for use at a later date.