Quinoa is an ancient grain and is one of the only grains that is a source of protein.
- 2 cup (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 (2) cloves, garlic minced
- 2 cup (500 mL) sliced fresh white OR crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 (2) carrots, grated
- 1 (1) red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- In medium saucepan bring 2 cups water to boil.
- Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Simmer until tender and water is absorbed, about 13 minutes.
- In large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Let cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add quinoa, mushroom mixture, carrots, red pepper and parsley. Toss well before serving.