- 2 1/2 cup (550-625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 2/3 cup ((50 mL) canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water
- 1 (1) egg, beaten slightly
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar
- 5 (peeled, cored and sliced 5) firm apples (such as Granny Smith or Gala)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 1 (1) egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients.
- Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- Combine water, egg and vinegar in a small bowl.
- With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through the chute. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- Transfer apples into a large mixing bowl. Toss in orange zest.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Toss apples and sugar mixture together.
Assembling the Galette:
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured board into a circle about 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter.
- Transfer dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Mound apples in center of pastry circle, leaving at least a 2 inch (5 cm) border.
- Gently fold edges of pastry over the apples, pleating loosely.
- Combine egg and water and whisk together.
- Brush dough with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle dough with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.