- 4 Granny’s Turkey Drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) Peak of the Market onion, diced
- 2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 oz (60 mL) dark rum
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) homemade or low sodium turkey or chicken stock
- 1 tsp (5 mL) corn starch mixed with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) cold water
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Peak of the Market green onion, finely sliced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Season drumsticks with salt & pepper and brown in a deep frying pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil,
- Place drumstick into oven in a roasting pan and cook for 60 minutes.
- While the drumsticks are cooking, sauté onion and apple in the frying pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp of olive oil until golden brown.
- Add rum, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add stock, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add corn starch with water to pan. Continue to simmer, reducing sauce until it just covers the back of a spoon.
- Add green onion and season sauce, to tastes, with salt and pepper. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- When drumsticks are done roasting, place them in a shallow baking dish and cover with the sauce, coating them well. Reduce the oven to 325°F (160°C). Loosely cover the baking dish with foil and cook turkey in the sauce for an additional 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Chef Jason Wortzman, Granny’s Poultry