Savoury Sloppy Joes
Prep: 15 MinutesCook: 20 Minutes Servings: 4-6
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 ¼ lb (0.625 kg) lean ground pork
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Peak of the Market yellow onion
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-24 oz (680 mL) can thick pasta sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) BeeMaid Honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp (7 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 large Peak of the Market green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4-6 crusty buns, sliced
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté ground pork until thoroughly cooked and no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring often.
- Stir in pasta sauce, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and oregano.
- Add bell pepper; stir to combine while bringing mixture to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve over sliced crusty buns.
Tip: 3 Tbsp / 45 mL packed brown sugar may be substituted for the honey.