Root Beer Pulled Pork
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 8 hours Servings: 6 - 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and dry mustard
- ½ tsp (2 mL) celery salt
- 1 pork shoulder blade roast, boneless, about 4-4 ½ lb (2-2.25 kg)
- 1 cup (250 mL) root beer
- 1-355 mL bottle root beer-flavoured barbecue sauce, like Bon Vivant!
- 68 crusty buns, sliced
- Prepared coleslaw for serving
- In small bowl, thoroughly combine brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, mustard and celery salt.
- Rub spice mixture over all sides of roast. Refrigerate 6-8 hours or overnight. Remove roast from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to help bring meat to room temperature.
- Place roast into slow cooker. Add root beer. Cover and cook on LOW until meat is very tender, about 8 hours.
- Remove roast to cutting board and let cool slightly for easy handling, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard all but 1/2 cup cooking liquid, set aside.
- With 2 forks, pull meat into shreds, discarding any fat. Return pork to slow cooker.
- Moisten pork with reserved cooking liquid, and add the desired amount of barbecue sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Layer pork onto buns and serve with prepared coleslaw.