Roasted Tomato Bisque with Grilled Cheese Skewers
1 hour and 40 Minutes
Prep: 20 MinsCook: 1 hour and 20 Minutes Servings: 4
- 10 – 12 large ripe field tomatoes, quartered (4.5 lbs / 2kg)
- 1 head garlic, peeled (1)
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided (60mL)
- 1 large Peak of the Market onion, diced (1)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (1)
- 1 medium Peak of the Market carrot, diced (1)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme (8)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (5mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2mL)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (1 mL)
- 4 cups no salt added vegetable broth (1L)
- 3 cups fresh basil (750mL)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (30mL)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)
- 1/3 cup 18% table cream (75mL)
Grilled Cheese Skewers
- 4 Slices of light rye (4)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese + cheddar or gruyere (125mL)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (10mL)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15mL)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place tomato wedges and garlic and toss
with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil. Cook for 45 minutes or until tomatoes are slightly
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil.
Once oil is hot add onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until onions begin to brown and celery and carrots begin to soften. Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add in
roasted tomatoes and garlic, vegetable broth, tomato paste and basil. Stir to
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer, uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Discard
- In batches, in a high-speed blender or with a hand-held immersion blender,
puree the soup until smooth. Stir in maple syrup and cream.
Grilled Cheese Skewers:
- Brush one side of each of the four pieces of bread with canola oil.
- In a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, add two pieces of bread, oil
down to the pan. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of Dijon mustard to the non-oiled side and
spread across top of bread. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of shredded cheese to the two
slices in the pan.
- Top with remaining slices of bread, oil side up. Reduce heat to medium.
- Once cheese has begun to melt, flip sandwich. Grill for another 3-4 minutes, or
until golden brown. Remove from heat, slice each sandwich diagonally into 4-6
triangles. Add ½ of sandwich to one bamboo skewer, repeat with other half.
- Serve soup in a bowl with one grilled cheese skewer.
Note: Add remaining soup to a large freezer bag and freeze up to one month.