Farmer Sausage & Potato Bake
Prep: 30 MinutesCook: 45 Minutes Servings: 4-6 servings
- 6 medium-sized Peak of the Market russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) margarine
- 3-4 Peak of the Market green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Vita egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 1 lb / 500 g Winkler Meats farmer sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ¼ cup (50 mL) EACH shredded mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- Sprig of fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ﹾF.
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Drain well in a colander.
- Return potatoes to pot. Add milk and margarine and, using a hand masher or potato ricer, mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add green onion, garlic, egg yolks, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Gently fold in sausage, cheeses and parsley.
- Spoon mixture into greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and garnish with a sprig of thyme, if desired. Let stand 3-5 minutes before serving.