Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Buttercream
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter
- 1 3/4 (425 mL) sugar
- 2 Countryside Farms Vita Eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated zucchini (1 – 1.5 small-medium zucchini)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Manitoba wheat flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup (125 – 175 mL) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 muffin tins with liners.
- In large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar, until smooth.
- Beat in eggs. Add zucchini, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In separate bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- To the zucchini mixture, alternate adding the dry mixture and the milk in three stages (*use ½ cup milk if using previously frozen, thawed zucchini, ¾ cup if using fresh zucchini).
- Divide batter into cupcake tins. Bake approximately 25 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- Top the cupcakes with Ermine Buttercream.
To peel or not to peel? If using a small-medium zucchini use unpeeled and only deseed if the seeds are large. If using a large garden zucchini, peel and deseed before shredding.
Got lots of Zucchini? Shredded zucchini can easily be frozen in 2 cup portions. Thaw and use the shredded zucchini and accompanying liquid in the recipe. If using previously frozen zucchini in this recipe, add only ½ cup of buttermilk.
To make buttermilk… combine ½ cup milk + ½ tbsp. lemon juice/vinegar (or ¾ cup milk + ¾ cup lemon juice/vinegar)
To make a cake…. pour batter into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350°F (177°C) approximately 50 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
Replacing sugar with honey…When baking, if you’d like to replace sugar with a more local option you can use honey. However, it’s not a direct substitution. Use the BeeMaid Honey Converter Tool to help determine what substitution will generate the best results.