Rhubarb Ribbon Coffee Cake
Prep: 22-25 minutesCook: 40-45 minutes Servings: 16 pieces
- 4 cups (1 L) diced rhubarb
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60 mL) large cake Manitoba oats
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Manitoba all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Manitoba whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) Manitoba all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- ¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 egg (1)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) canola oil
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- In saucepan, combine rhubarb (thaw and drain if using frozen) and water. Cook
over medium high heat until rhubarb is tender (8 to 10 minutes).
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon. Stir into rhubarb.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, four and brown sugar.
- Add canola oil and stir until well distributed.
- Set aside
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 9 x 13 (23 x33 cm) pan with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, lightly beat sugar, egg, canola oil, yogurt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture, beat until just combined. Batter will be fairly thick.
- Spoon 2/3 of batter into the prepared pan.
- Top with rhubarb filling.
- Drop remaining batter on top of rhubarb. There will be high and low spots and not all the rhubarb may be covered.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over top of batter and rhubarb spots.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool cake on rack for 30 minutes