Chicken & Lentil Salad
Prep: 20 MinsCook: 20 Mins Servings: 6
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) dried green lentils
- 2 (2) Peak of the Market carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 (1) medium Peak of the Market yellow onion
- 3 (3) whole cloves garlic
- 6 cups (1500 ml) chicken broth (or water)
- 1 (1) bay leaf
- 3 cups (750 ml) cooked chicken, cubed (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 cup (250 ml) thinly sliced Peak of the Market green onions
- 1 cup (250 ml) shelled, walnut halves or walnut pieces
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cups (1000 ml) arugula, baby spinach or other greens (optional)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 3 (3) garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) BeeMaid Honey
- Rinse lentils and transfer to a large pot.
- Add carrots, yellow onion, 3 whole cloves garlic, chicken stock (or water) and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender but maintain their shape. (Cooking time may vary).
- While lentils are cooking, combine dressing ingredients using a whisk and set aside.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain and discard carrots, onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Place lentils into a large bowl, add dressing, gently toss to combine.
- Add chicken to lentils, combine and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Just before serving, add the green onions, walnuts and parsley to chicken and lentils.
- Serve on top of a bed of greens, if desired.
Note: Chicken and lentil mixture will keep in fridge for up to three days.