- 1 Granny’s Seasoned Whole Turkey
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) red wine
- 5 cups (1.2 litres) turkey or chicken stock, homemade or low sodium
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) for convection roast or 375°F (190°C) in a regular oven.
- Remove neck and giblets.
- Combine all wet rub ingredients and mix into a paste with a head blender or small food processor.
- Rub seasoning all over the bird, spreading it around as much as possible. Put any extra inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Place turkey on a wire rack inside the roasting pan.
- Cover the top of the bird loosely with foil. Place in oven. Remove foil after 1-2 hours depending on the size of the bird. A meat thermometer should read 170°F (77°C) when the bird is done.
- Once your turkey is fully cooked, tilt it so the juices drain into roasting pan, then transfer turkey to a platter, reserving the juices in the roasting pan. Let the turkey rest in a warm place loosely covered for 30 minutes.
- Strain the juices into a container then skim and discard fat. If using a fat separator, strain the juices into the separator and let stand until fat rises to top. Pour the juices from separator into a container.
- Place the roasting pan on a burner over medium high heat, add wine and deglaze, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Strain into container with other juices.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and add flour. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly for about 3-4 minutes. Add deglazed juices and stock, and bring to a simmer while whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carve turkey and serve with warm gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Wortzman
Copyright © 2018 Granny’s Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba) Ltd.,
All Rights Reserved
Pairs well with Gonzalez Byass Beronia Rioja Tempranillo