- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
Ricotta (makes ~3/4 cup (175 mL)):
- 4 cups (1 L) 3% homogenized milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice
- cheese cloth OR large coffee filter
- 1 pouch (8 g) instant (rapid rise) dry yeast
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) warm liquid whey
- (leftover from homemade Ricotta)
- 3 cups (750 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded Parmesan cheese
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh arugula OR 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh chopped basil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel off the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact; cut off tops of cloves, about 1⁄4 inch. Drizzle garlic with oil then wrap in tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool, remove garlic from the cloves.
- Over medium – low heat, in a medium saucepot, heat milk stirring frequently. When steam begins to rise and bubbles form along the sides of milk, add salt and stir. Remove milk from heat and add lemon juice stirring once to combine. Let milk sit 5 minutes.
- Line a mesh sieve with cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Slowly pour all of the curdled milk into the cheesecloth. Wait 15-20 minutes for the liquid whey to drain. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth and gently squeeze the bag of cheese over the bowl to remove excess liquid. Reserve 1 1⁄4 cups (310 mL) liquid whey to make pizza dough. Use Ricotta immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar, melted butter, and warm (not hot) liquid whey. Let rest 10 minutes to allow yeast to activate. Foam will form along the surface.
- Combine flour and salt. Using the dough hook attachment, on low speed, slowly begin to add flour mixture a until dough forms a ball around the hook and no longer sticks to the edges of the bowl.
- Place the ball of dough in a greased bowl and turn over once to coat all of the dough. Cover and allow dough to rise in a warm, draft-free location. The dough will double in volume. This should take about 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough. Grease a large pizza pan; spread dough over pan.
- Spread the garlic evenly over the pizza dough. Evenly sprinkle Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over pizza dough. Evenly distribute spoonfuls of Ricotta over the pizza. Add ground pepper to taste.
- Bake pizza at 425°F (218°C) for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Remove pizza from the oven.
- Generously cover pizza with arugula and drizzle with oil. Serve immediately.