- 3 cups (750 mL) Granny’s cooked Slow Cooker turkey meat, shredded
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lard, coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tsbp (15 mL) garlic, finely chopped
- 8 – dried ancho and/or mulato chilies, seeds and stems removed
- 4 – dried pasilla chilies, seeds and stems removed
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole blanched almonds
- 1 – white corn tortilla
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) lard, coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) anise seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) corriander seed
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) raisins
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) allspice
- 3 oz. (90 g) Mexican chocolate
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 8 – white corn tortillas
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
Directions for preparing mole sauce:
- Bring chilies and water to a boil in a saucepan for 5 minutes then leave to soak until soft.
- Drain shilies reserving liquid.
- Bake almonds in a 300˚F (150˚C) oven for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Dry tortilla in oven until no longer soft. Once dried, fry tortilla in skillet with oil until golden brown
- Toast sesame seeds, anise seeds, and coriander seeds in a dry skillet until golden brown.
- Add raisins in same oil for 2 minutes
- Add and drained chilies, seeds, nuts , crumbled tortilla and all remaining spices to a blender along with 1 cup of reserved chili liquid and puree.
- Add stock and continue to blend until it reaches sauce consistency. Transfer to a saucepan and gently heat.
- Add chocolate and continue to heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a separate pot.
- Add Shredded turkey and enough sauce to cover.
Serve turkey in tacos with lettuce, cheese and salsa. Remaining sauce can be frozen for later use.
Pairs well with a Honey Lime Cocktail containing: Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey, Limeade, Soda Water