- 1 box (432 g) yellow cake mix (to prepare follow ingredients and directions below, not on box)
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) butter, melted
- 2 Countryside Farms Vita eggs
- 1 pkg (102 g) instant vanilla pudding mix
Filling and topping:
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) Greek yogurt
- 5 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (398 mL) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (284 mL) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened coconut, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 9”x9” glass dish.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla pudding mix. Using a hand-mixer or stand-mixer beat on medium-high speed about 2 minutes.
- Pour Batter into prepared dish and bake for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and continue baking another 60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Total 90 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Over a large cutting board, turn pan upside down to release the cake.
- Cut the cake into rectangular pieces about 2”L x 0.5”W.
- Using a hand-mixer or stand-mixer beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and yogurt and mixing only until combined.
- Line a 10-12″ (25-30 cm) diameter bowl with plastic wrap then line the inside of the wrapped bowl with sliced kiwi.
- Spread a layer of about 1/2 of the cream to cover all of the kiwi.
- Place the cake pieces in a layer over the cream and up the sides of the bowl.
- * Add half of the pineapple and orange pieces. Cover with layer of cream and top with cake pieces (cake pieces should come to the top of the bowl to form a flat layer).
- Cover the top layer in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- To serve, remove plastic wrap on top of bowl. Place a flat plate or cutting board on top of the bowl, gently turn the bowl and plate over, slowly remove the bowl from the plate, separating it from the plastic wrap on the inside of the bowl. Slowly remove the plastic wrap to reveal the layer of kiwi.
- Slice the cake, and serve.
*Note: If your bowl is deeper and could have room for more than one layer of fruit – divide the fruit, cake and cream accordingly to make multiple layers. The cake should always be the final layer at the top of the bowl.
If you do not wish to make this in a bowl, it can be made as a trifle layering the ingredients and scooped out to serve OR it can be served in individual cups, layering the ingredients.
Pairs well with, Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc