- 1 lb (0.5 kg) lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) basil pesto
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 oz (60 g) mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes)
- 2 cups (500 mL) prepared marinara sauce, warmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Hot cooked Rede-Made Noodles for serving
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) torn fresh basil leaves
- In large bowl, combine pork, bread crumbs, milk, pesto and half of the salt and pepper, mix lightly.
- Form mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
- Use your finger to stuff one cube of cheese into center of each meatball. Seal meat around cheese.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium.
- Grill meatballs on lightly oiled grill, turning often, for about 10 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160˚F.
- Meanwhile, toss together cherry tomatoes, police oil and remaining salt and pepper; thread onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers.
- Grill tomatoes over medium heat, turning for 4-5 minutes or until blistered and slightly charred; remove skewers.
Meatballs may also be served as an appetizer. Assemble by threading one meatball, one basil leaf, and one charred tomato onto a toothpick.