- 4 cups (1 L) fusilli or any curly pasta
- ½ lb (250 g) spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Peak of the Market onion, chopped
- 1 Peak of the Market sweet red pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh mushrooms (white or crimini) sliced
- 1 jar (645 mL – 700 mL) spaghetti sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH basil and oregano
- 1 container (500 g) light ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In large pot of boiling water, cook fusilli until tender but firm, about 6 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- In large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, saute sausages until almost cooked, breaking up any large pieces while cooking. Drain fat.
- Add garlic, onion, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add spaghetti sauce, basil and oregano.
- Cover. Cook additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta.
- Spread ricotta cheese evenly over top. Turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes,
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil 5 minutes or until top is golden. Serve immediately.
Pairs well with, Savanna Premium Dry Cider