The Pistou recipe is the French version of Italian pesto sauce.
- 5 clove garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4-4 oz (125 g) rib-eye steaks
- 1/4 cup pistou
- In a food processor, form a paste with garlic and basil, add cheese and tomato paste; add in oil 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time. The Pistou will keep indefinitely in a jar in the refrigerator. Makes 1-1/2 cups (375 mL).
- Brush steak on both sides with Pistou.
- Broil or grill over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side for rare meat; 5 to 7 minutes per side for medium.