Impressive to look at, tender to eat and simple to prepare, this no-fuss pork loin is enhanced with a dried fruit and rice stuffing.
- 4 lb (2 kg) pork loin roast, boneless
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 cup (500 mL) long grain rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1+1/2 cup (375 mL) dried mixed fruit
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 2 (2) cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) EACH finely chopped celery and fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) EACH chopped fresh sage and thyme
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable broth
- 5 -7 slices bacon (thin)
- Cut roast down center lengthwise to within 1/2-inch of bottom. Open roast to lie flat. On each half, make a lengthwise slit down center to within 1/2-inch of bottom. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rice, dried fruit, onion, celery, parsley, sage , thyme, almonds and broth. Mix well.
- Divide half the stuffing among the three slits. Roll up roast from long side. Tie with butcher string at 2-inch intervals.
- Place remaining stuffing in greased shallow baking dish*. Set aside.
- Place roast in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered at 350 F for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove string. Place bacon strips over top. Roast 30 – 45 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 155 F (68 C). Tent loosely with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
* To heat reserved stuffing: Cover. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.