- Juice and zest of 1 large orange
- 1 cup (250 mL) pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (22 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Kosher salt
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
- 2 cups (250 mL) cubed butternut squash
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut on diagonal into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1 Peak of the Market red onion cut into 3/4 inch wedges
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole walnuts or pecans
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped mint
- In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice and pomegranate juice. Bring to a boil over a medium heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). This can be done ahead of time if preferred.
- add 1/2 the orange set, the thyme, the cumin, cinnamon and pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat and cool to room temperature. Whisk in the oil and salt.
- Place chicken pieces, squash, parsnips, and onion into a large bowl. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables; mix until everything is well coated.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a large rimmed sheet pan (or 2 smaller pans).
- Scatter vegetables over the bottom of the sheet. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, in between the vegetables. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and reduce temperature to 375F. Pour the broth around the chicken pieces and scatter the nuts around the chicken. Return the pan to the oven and roast until the vegetables are tender and a thermometer in the largest chicken piece reads 170F (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken to a warm serving platter and arrange vegetables and nuts around. Top with remaining orange zest, parsley and mint. Serve with rice or couscous.
Pairs well with Sumac Ridge Private Reserve Gewurztraminer