- 1 pkg (552 g) chocolate cake mix, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) soft but cool butter, cubed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Crème de Menthe liqueur
- Junior Mints® (optional), diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
- Grease 2 round 9-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions; divide batter evenly into both pans.
- Bake according to directions.
- Mix sugar and flour in medium sauce pot; add milk; cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Once mixture comes to a boil and has thickened remove from heat and cool.
- Only when mixture is cool, add butter; beat until blended.
- Add vanilla and Crème de Menthe; mix thoroughly.
- If desired, fold in Junior Mints®.
- If icing is too soft, chill slightly in the refrigerator then beat.
- Place chocolate chips in medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- In small sauce pot, bring cream to a simmer.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add butter and stir until smooth.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- On the centre of a cake plate, place first layer of cake rounded side up.
- Cover with layer of mint buttercream 1-inch thick.
- Place second layer of cake flat side up.
- Pour slightly cooled chocolate ganache over top of cake and allow to fully cover top and drip down sides.