- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 ciabatta buns, halved
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) roasted red pepper strips
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
Garlic Thyme Mayo:
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In small bowl, combine all mayo ingredients.
- Clean portabellas: hold each mushroom upright and carefully twist out or cut the stem flush with the cap. Reserve the stems for another recipe. Tap the cap lightly. Clean with a soft brush or cloth or rinse quickly under cool running water. Pat dry.
- Place flour, beaten egg and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dip each mushroom in flour, egg then bread crumbs.
- In large fry pan over medium heat, heat oil and butter. Cook mushrooms about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and tender when pierced.
- Place “Garlic Thyme Mayo” on bottom half of each bun. Top with a portabella mushroom, roasted red pepper strips and cheese.
- Broil for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Place top on.
- Serve immediately.