Great as an appetizer or main course.
- 2 cup (500 mL) fresh white mushrooms
- 2 cup (500 mL) fresh crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 lb (125 g) lean ground beef
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) EACH oregano and basil
- 2 12-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Finely chop mushrooms. Set aside.
- In large frypan over medium-high heat cook ground beef. Drain, if necessary. Season with pepper. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- In same frypan heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onions are tender and moisture evaporates.
- Add cooked beef to frypan. Mix well. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine ricotta cheese, oregano and basil.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet.
- Divide ricotta cheese mixture evenly onto two 12-inch tortillas. Spread evenly.
- Layer equal amounts of mushroom beef mixture on top.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 400 F (220 C) for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with Arugula if desired.