You control the spiciness in this flavourful mushroom and vegetable taco by the type of salsa you use (Hot, medium or mild). Ole!
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH ground cumin and chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 cup (500 mL) fresh sliced white or crimini mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans or pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) salsa sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen kernel corn
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 taco shells, warmed
- In non-stick skillet place cumin and chili powder over medium-high heat for 1 minute to release oils for increased flavour. Set aside.
- In large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add spices, beans, salsa and corn. Mix well Cook until heated through.
- To serve: Place 1/4 cup (50 mL) filling in each taco shell. Top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, grated Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream, as desired.