This bread tastes like a cinnamon bun, but is way more fun to make and eat!!
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 4 cup (1 L) flour, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg) instant (quick-rise) yeast
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (8 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) milk
- In a small pot, heat milk over medium low heat until it is warm (not hot) to the touch.
- Combine 1 cup of flour and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add the warm milk, butter, sugar, eggs, and salt and mix on low speed. Gradually, add remaining 3 cups of flour.
- Continue mixing approximately 5 minutes or until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Dough should feel soft and moist, not sticky.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let dough rise in a warm place until approximately doubled in size, about 2 hours.*
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease the inside of a 10″ bundt pan.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a small shallow bowl.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in medium shallow bowl.
- Tear small pieces of dough and shape into 1″ balls. Roll ball in butter, then coat in sugar mixture. Stack dough balls in bundt pan, staggering each layer like bricks and pat down. Sprinkle any remaining butter and sugar over dough.** Bake 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes, then flip onto a plate.
- Measure icing sugar into a medium bowl. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time. Mix until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over warm monkey bread. Serve immediately.
*Note: The dough can be prepared a day ahead. Mix dough ingredients, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in the fridge overnight (about 8 hours). The next day allow dough to come to room temperature before shaping into balls.
**The monkey bread can also be assembled a day ahead. Bake immediately before serving.
If you like cinnamon monkey bread, you may also like… Pizza Monkey Bread