- 5 medium Peak of the Market red potatoes (5)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 2 Peak of the Market shallots, finely chopped (2)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, very finely chopped (10 mL)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (2 mL)
- 2 cups sodium-reduced beef broth (500 mL)
- 1 (1/2 oz/10g) cube beef bouillon (1)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (15 mL)
- 3-4 Tbsp all-purpose flour (45-60 mL)
- 1/4 cup cold water (60 mL)
For Frying & Topping
- 1 qt canola oil (1L)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cheese curds, room temperature (375 mL)
- Wash and cut potatoes into French fry shaped pieces. Soak in cold water to remove some of the starch.
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy. Pour canola oil into a non-stick frying pan. Sauté shallots over med-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer. Stir in thyme, pepper and beef broth. Bring to a boil. Toss in the beef bouillon cube. Reduce heat and stir until beef cube dissolves. Stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine flour and water. Whisk until smooth. Add to the gravy mix, while stirring. Cook and stir until gravy thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place potatoes onto a clean, dry towel. Dab potatoes to remove excess water. Heat oil in a large saucepan until it reaches 300°F – 350°F (180°C). Use thermometer if not using a deep fryer with a temperature gauge. Fry potatoes in two batches until golden brown and cooked through. Ensure oil reached temperature between batches. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, re-heat gravy if necessary.
- Pile fries onto 4 serving plates. Divide cheese curds among plates. Pour gravy over cheese and serve immediately.
Pairs well with Fort Garry Pale Ale