- 2 cups (500 mL) green lentils
- 1 an (800 mL) diced tomatoes (good quality)
- 1 Tbsp (30 smL) tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp (60 mL) chopped parsley
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken stock
- canola oil, as necessary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Countryside Farms Vita Egg, poached (optional)
- In a heavy bottom pot sweat the onions and garlic until soft and translucent and season with salt. Add the thyme and tomato paste and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add fresh tomatoes and cook again for an additional 2-3 minutes, cover with half of the chicken stock and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes to develop flavour.
- Add the remaining chicken stock and the 2 cups of lentils.
- Simmer until lentils are tender. Once lentils are cooked the stew may be served immediately or cooked further to attain desired consistency. Be sure to tastes and do final seasoning with salt and pepper.
- TIP: add the parsley right beself serving for that burst of freshness.
This dish can be used as a side dish for meats and poultry, or omit the chicken stock for a protein packed vegetarian dish.
Pairs well with Tito’s Handmade Vodka Stacked Caesar