- 1 1/2 cups (620 mL) cubed peeled Peak of the Market red potato
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef sirloin or round cuts
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground pork
- 1 medium Peak of the Market onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) beef broth
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) EACH fresh thyme and sage
- 1/4 tsp EACH ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) fresh parsley, minced
- 2 9″ (23 cm) ready-made uncooked pie shells (or homemade pastry for 1 double crust pie)
- 1 Countryside Farms Vita egg, slightly beaten with a splash of water (egg wash)
- In a small stock pot with salted water boil potatoes until fork tender, drain and mash. Set aside.
- In a large deep sided skillet over medium-high heat, break up ground meats with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Add stock, celery, thyme, sage, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and simmer until no liquid remains and vegetables are softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in mashed potatoes and chopped parsley. Allow to cool in the refrigerator while pie crust is prepared.
- Optional to blind bake the bottom crust of the pie shell. Once cooled. Spoon meat and potato filling and cover with second sheet of pie crust. Cut steam vents and brush egg wash over crust.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) in the oven until crust is golden brown and filling is hot, 35-45 minutes.
Pairs well with a Montreal Manhattan featuring Canadian Club 100% Rye, shaken over ice with vermouth, garnished with a maraschino cherry.