- 3/4 lb (750 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 lb (250 g) Italian mild pork sausage
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) EACH Italian seasoning, salt (divided)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2-(900 mL) tetre packs no-sodium-added chicken broth
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cans navy beans (540 mL/19 fl oz)
- 4 cups (1 L) baby spinach
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- Remove sausage casing from pork.
- Combine ground meats together with breadcrumbs, onion, seasoning, 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, garlic and egg.
- Form meatballs into bite size balls, place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 8 minutes until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a stock pot over medium heat add water, stock, peppers; bring to a simmer.
- Add baked meatballs and beans and simmer for 10 minutes or until meatballs are well done 160 degrees F (71 degrees C).
- Remove from heat; add spinach, remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve once spinach in bright green and wilted.