- 4 cups kale, chopped (1L)
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, and halved (250 mL)
- 1 small Peak of the Market beet, washed, peeled and finely diced (1)
- 1 small sweet potato, washed, peeled, and finely diced (1)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1/4 cup amaranth seeds, rinsed and drained (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained well (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp almonds, whole (20 mL)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cashews, whole (20 mL)
- 2 figs, sliced (2)
- 1 avocado, sliced (1)
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice (20 mL)
- 1 tsp Dijion mustard (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or plain Greek yogurt (60 mL)
- 2 tsp garlic minced (10 mL)
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs (chives, tarragon, parsley, mint, cilantro) (60 mL)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and beets with canola oil and distribute evenly. Tip: Keep beets separated to one side of the pan as they will leach out colour.
- Roast vegetables for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Set aside and allow to completely cool.
- Bring 3/4 cup water (175 mL) to a boil in a pot. Add 1/4 cup amaranth (60 mL). Cover, reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10-20 minutes. Makes about 1/2 cup (125 mL).
- Measure out 1/4 cup cooked amaranth and set aside. Store the rest in an air-tight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days. Add to salads throughout the week.
- In a glass jar or small bowl, combine canola oil, lemon juice and Dijion mustard, and mix together until well combined.
- Add in crème fraiche and garlic, mixing until well combined.
- Gently add in mixed herbs and fold into the rest of the mixture.
- In a large bowl marinate kale with green goddess dressing and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, roast almonds and cashews over medium-high heat until lightly fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add in the remaining ingredient with kale and toss together.
- Divide ingredients equally among four bowls and serve immediately.
Pairs well with Butter Bomb Chardonnay