- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 Countryside Farms Vita eggs
- 8 thin slices black forest ham or back bacon
- 8 slices tomato
- 1-2 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- chives (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in milk. Stirring continuously, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently 1 min.
- Whisk in Parmesan mustard powder, hot sauce, and salt. Remove from heat; sauce will thicken slightly while preparing remaining ingredients.
- toast bread.
- Poach eggs in simmering water about 3 min.
- Place one slice of ham on each slice of bread, followed by a slice of tomato, avocado slices then egg.
- Drizzle with sauce then sprinkle with chives if using.
Recipe adapted from Dairy Farmers of Canada
Pairs well with Quail’s Gate Gewürztraminer VQA