This home-style Shepherd’s Pie is made with a flavourful filling of ground pork topped off with a fluffy potato topping.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground pork
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cup (500 mL) mixed frozen vegetables
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- Salt to taste
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ground pork. Cook until pork is browned and no pink remains, about 15 minutes. Drain cooking liquid if needed.
- Add broth, tomato paste, parsley, thyme and frozen vegetables. Mix well. Simmer until juices thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 1+1/2-quart casserole.
- Top with Potato Topping (recipe below).
- Bake at 375 F for 30 – 35 minutes or until potato topping starts to brown.
- Garnish with additional parsley.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Drain well.
- Mash with butter, milk and salt.