- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4-5 small (1 large) zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 red bellpeppers, grilled and cut in strips
- 8 oz (250 g) Canadian Ricotta cheese
- 3 cup (750 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 3 1/2 cup (875 mL) milk, divided
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) fresh chopped basil OR 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Cook pasta according to cooking instructions on package, until al dente.
- Drain the boiling water out of the pasta. Transfer the pasta into a large bowl and fill with cold water until the pasta is completely covered.
- Prepare the sauce in a medium saucepot. Over medium heat, bring to simmer 2 ½ cups (625 ml) milk and butter.
- Whisk flour into remaining 1 cup (250 ml) milk; gradually whisk into saucepot. Whisk constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Into a greased 9 x 13-inch dish, evenly spread 1 cup (250 ml) of sauce.
- Cover with 4 lasagna noodles, and top with thin layers of zucchini, onion slices and bell pepper strips.
- Evenly distribute 1/3 of Canadian Ricotta cheese and sprinkle with 1/3 of each Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Starting with pasta noodles, repeat layers twice with the final top layer being vegetables, Ricotta and Parmesan Cheese only.
- Top with remaining sauce (approximately 2 1/2 cups / 625 mL) and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.