A wonderful side dish made with shiitake mushrooms, pearl barley and dried cranberries.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 (1) shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sherry
- 2 cup (500 mL) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 3 cup (750 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried cranberries
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves
- In medium saucepan melt butter. Add shallots. Cook until shallots starts to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add barley. Stir until glossy, about 1 minute.
- Add sherry. Stir until barley has absorbed all the liquid, about 1 minute.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally until barley is tender 18-20 minutes (consistency will be porridge-like).
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and dried cranberries.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Garnish with thyme.