- 9-10 cups (3 lbs) Peak of the Market carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds (12-16 carrots)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) Peak of the Market diced onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- 4 cups (1 L) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) celery salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) prepared mustard
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil. Add carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes, until carrots have soften slightly. Drain carrots; set aside. (Note: depending on the size of your pot, this may need to be done in 2 batches).
- In a medium pot, over medium-low heat melt butter. Add onions, sauté until softened.
- Add flour to butter and onions; combine and allow to cook 1 minute while stirring.
- While whisking, add 1 cup of milk; mix until combined. Add remaining milk, 1 cup at a time, mixing to combine each time.
- Add salt, pepper, celery salt and mustard; whisk to combine. Bring sauce to a low boil and continue to cook until it thickens.
- To the prepared baking dish, add half the cooked carrots. Cover evenly with 1 cup of shredded cheese and half the cream sauce. Repeat with remaining carrots, cheese and sauce.
- Add bread crumbs to 1/4 cup of melted butter and mix thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes, until browned and heated through. Serve immediately or chill and reheat to serve.
Pairs well with M Chapoutier Belleruche Cotes du Rhone White AOC