- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) chicken drumsticks
- canola oil (for grill)
- lime wedges
- 1 can (400 mL) unsweetened premium coconut milk (not light)
- 3 Peak of the Market shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lemongrass stalks (bottom third only, tough outer layers removed), finely chopped
- 2 Peak of the Market jalapeños, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 inch piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 3/4 cup (1250 mL) water
- Combine marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large re-sealable bag. Pour marinade over chicken; close bag and gently turn it so marinade coats all the chicken. Refrigerate overnight.
- 20 minutes before grilling remove bag of chicken from fridge.
- Drain the marinade into a medium sized saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to keep marinade from burning. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until marinade thickens (about 8 minutes). Pour half the marinade into a small bowl for basting the chicken during cooking. Save the remaining marinade to use as a dipping sauce.
- Set barbecue to medium heat (357F) and oil grates to prevent sticking. Grill chicken, turning every 5 minutes or so, basting with the marinade in the bowl, until the skin starts to char (about 20 minutes)
- Continue cooking chicken without basting for another 10 minutes, or until a digital thermometer reads 170F in the largest pieces. Throw out any marinade left in the bowl.
- Transfer chicken to a large platter and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lime wedges over chicken.
- Warm the saved marinade in the microwave to use as a dipping sauce for the chicken.