- 3 cobs corn, husked (or 2 cups frozen corn)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Peak of the Market onion
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour made with Manitoba Wheat
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled Peak of the Market red potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped green onions or chives
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or preheat broiler). Cook corn, turning often, for about 15 minutes or until kernels are tender. Let cool; cut kernels from cobs. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large saucepan set over medium heat for about 6 minutes or until browned; use slotted spoon to transfer to paper towel–lined dish. Set aside. In same pan, cook onion, garlic and butter for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened
- Add flour, paprika and cayenne to pan; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add milk and potatoes. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in reserved corn and bacon; cook until heated through and thickened. Garnish with green onions and cheese.
For an extra indulgance, top the chowder with grated Canadian Cheddar cheese.
Pairs well with, Jacob’s Creek Double Barrel Barossa Shiraz