- 5 lb (2-2 ½ kg) pork spare ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sesame seeds for garnish
- Thinly sliced green onion for garnish
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated ginger
- Remove membrane from ribs.
- Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- In small bowl, mix salt and pepper with Chinese five-spice powder.
- Rub mixture over both sides of ribs.
- Arrange ribs in single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for two hours, turning once or twice.
- In medium pot, combine soy sauce, grapefruit juice, hoisin sauce, ketchup, vinegar, honey and Sriracha.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Bring to slow simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Reserve about of half the glaze.
- During the last 30 minutes of roasting, baste ribs with glaze.
- Cook 10 minutes, turn and repeat.
- Glaze ribs again and put them under the broiler for about 5 minutes to make the ribs a nice brown.
- If ribs are getting too dark, cover loosely with foil.
- When ribs are done, let cool slightly and slice into single rib servings.
- Arrange on a platter; garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.