- 1 cup (250 mL) canola oil
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh oregano
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped capers
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs (900 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- In a food processor or blender, combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, shallots, and capers. Pulse until blended, but do not puree. Stir in salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Put chicken in re-sealable plastic bag. Pour half of the chimichurri sauce over the chicken and seal bag. Reserve the rest of the sauce at room temperature for up to 6 hours, or refrigerate. Marinade chicken for 1-2 hours in fridge.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill chicken, turning once, until chicken is cooked through and digital thermometer reads 170F. Remove chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with the reserved chimichurri sauce.