- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk OR 1 cup milk (250 mL) & 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (~3 Tbsp/45 mL)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, trimmed
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine chicken and marinade in a zipper-seal bag, pressing out the air and sealing tightly. Toss to coat chicken completely and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 6 hours, flipping the bag occasionally. (Chicken can also be marinated in a baking dish covered with plastic wrap. Flip meat halfway through marinating time.)
- Preheat gas grill. Turn all burners to high, cover and heat grill until hot – about 10-15 minutes.
- Leave the primary burner on high and turn off the other burners.
- Remove marinated chicken from the bag or baking dish and discard any excess marinade.
- Lightly grease the grill (or chicken) with oil to prevent chicken from sticking.
- Place the chicken on the cooler side of the grill. Cover and cook until chicken begins to develop light grill marks, is no longer translucent, and does not stick to the grill – 6-9 minutes.
- Flip and rotate chicken and cook until firm to the touch and registers 140˚F (60˚C), 6-9 minutes.
- Slide chicken to hot side of the grill and cook, turning as needed, until the meat registers 165˚F (74˚C), 2-6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the grill; cover and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.