- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) Beef Stewing Cubes, trimmed
- Season salt and pepper, to tastes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) Peak of the Market vegetables, cut in small pieces (i.e.: onions, carrots, rutabaga, and/or potatoes)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1-900 mL Low sodium beef broth tetra pack
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp (25 mL) fresh thyme and dill, (1/4 tsp (1 mL) each if using dried herbs)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) black pepper
- 4 cup (1 L) water
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; brown beef cubes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Add 4 cups (1L) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for about 2 hours or until beef and barley are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.